Saturday, December 5, 2015

Household Items in my Camera Bag

When I head out for a day of nature photography, I like to be ready for any of the myriad of mini disasters that routinely plague my trips.  Making sure that my batteries are charged, lenses are clean, and SD cards are loaded are all important details. However, it is some of the non photographic “household items” that I bring that I want to share with you today.
young snowy owl in a field
Rubber Bands –  I prefer the thicker ones that come wrapped around asparagus or broccoli . Rubber bands are fantastic for removing a stuck circle polarizer or other filter from the front of your lens. Simply place the rubber band around the non rotating part of the filter and turn. They can also be used to wrap hand warmers around your lens if shooting long exposures in cold weather. I always have several in my bag.
Hand Warmers – As mentioned above, hand warmers are great to help reduce or eliminate, fogging of the lens when shooting long exposures. They are also come in handy keeping spare batteries (and hands) warm in cold weather.
Lightning Over Jenne farm, Reading VermontShower Cap – I’m talking the disposable hotel variety. These are great for protecting your camera body when shooting in the rain or snow. It fits around the body, and is see through so you can see the screen, and adjust your settings. They may not work as well as the “professional grade” models, but they are free. I have used the same one for over three years.
Paint Brush – I use this to clean snow, dirt, dust or anything else that has accumulated around the lens / body connection before changing lenses. I find it works better than a rocket blower which tends to push the debris deeper into the crevices.  This is especially important when photographing down along the beach where blowing sand can get everywhere.
Fluorescent Surveyor Tape – I actually use this quite often when hiking in areas I am unfamiliar with (especially without cell service). When bush whacking, I will mark my trail so that I can find my way back to the car (removing it as I backtrack). There is nothing more unnerving than being in a large field and not being able to find where you came in. A piece of bright tape along the edge makes it easier.
fox kits in late afternoon lightKnee Pads – Many of my photography friends laugh when they see me wear them, but often I’m the one laughing while kneeling pain-free on sharp rocks and sticks. A good heavy-duty pair with hard plastic kneecaps will last for years. Trust me, you will be thanking me for this tip!
Lint Roller – A must have if you spend any amount of time in the woods or fields in warm weather. As soon as I get back to the car, I use it to remove any ticks which have hitched a ride.
Photo Mat – Ok, maybe it’s not a household item, but this helps me decide on how I might compose my image. Having mainly pursued wildlife photography, it has been a steep learning curve training me brain to “see” landscape compositions. Holding the mat up to the scene, frames it in a way that allows me to see all the elements in the scene, and select how to best compose it.
These are just a few of the items I carry that you won’t see for sale on the B&H website. If you have household items that have found a spot in your camera bag, list them in the comments below.
I hope to see you in the field!
John Vose
View my Website-Jericho Hills Photography
Purchase images on Fine Art America
Like me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment