Saturday, April 11, 2015

Always Be Prepared

The Boy Scouts motto “Always be Prepared,” applies to many facets of our lives. For me, it is the mantra for what I carry with me when it comes to wildlife photography. When I head into the field, I try to have everything I would possibly need for the conditions I expect to encounter, or the subject I hope to photograph. However, should I forget something, I only have to return to my car.
Below is a list of the items I carry with me at all times, either in my camera bag, the rubber storage bin, or the back of the vehicle.
Camera Bag
  • Lenses
  • Extra Batteries
  • Extra Memory Cards
  • Filters
  • Flash unit
  • Head Lamp or flash light
  • Lens cleaning equipment (rocket blower, paint brush)
Rubber Storage Bin (some items change with the seasons)
  • Camo shirt, pants, face cover
  • Warm gloves
  • Extra jacket
  • Hunter orange vest
  • Bug spray
  • Hat with mosquito netting
  • Bear spray
  • Knee pads
  • Hand and feet warmers
  • Towel
  • Fold-up umbrella
  • Duct tape
  • Bungee Cords
  • Fluorescent surveyors tape
  • Bottled water
  • Trail mix
  • Extra hiking boots
Back of Vehicle (Subaru wagon)

  • Sleeping bag
  • Chest waders
  • Rubber Boots
  • Binoculars
  • Lowepro backpack
  • Camo blind chair
  • Camo netting
  • Tripods
This list of items I carry are specific for wildlife photography, and varies slightly by season. Certainly, if you are a landscape or portrait photographer, the items you’d require would be much different. The goal is to never miss a shot because you didn’t have the right equipment (camera or otherwise) available to you.
There are benefits to keeping items in a rubber storage bin.
  • Items are protected from dirt, debris, and weather (especially if located in trunk of car, or bed of pickup)
  • Items stay dry
  • Everything is in one place and not strewn throughout the vehicle
Wildlife photography can involve many hours of walking and waiting for one fleeting opportunity. Missing it because you were not prepared for what you might encounter is an awful feeling. I have learned my lesson, so now whether I’m five minutes or five hours from home, I am always prepared.
I look forward to seeing you out in the field, and if you need something just ask, chances are I have it with me !

John Vose

No comments:

Post a Comment